About.......Contact.......Society.....................

Friday, September 20, 2013

Miss Rigged America: Update



In my post on the recent Miss America competition, I wrote:
Reports are out that [Miss America 2014] called last year's Miss America "fat as s..t." A fellow contestant recorded her saying it in a hotel room.
Miss America is now saying that she never said this. She went on a daytime talk show and said:
"It was a really unfortunate situation, and I never said those things about Valerie..."
Fox News reports:
Following complaints to pageant organizers, Davuluri sent a message on Facebook to Hagan saying, “I want to apologize for the awful statements made by people in my room ... There were people who claimed to be my supporters and said things I never agreed with, nor supported ... I was never a part of the words or statements that may have been hurtful ... I’m sorry if someone said something that was inappropriate.”
She said this publicly, so the statement has to be true.

Still, what kind of company does she keep, that the conversation in a "private party" descends to that level? I still think that the level of aggression and aggressive behaviour has increased in the past decades, with immigration and multiculturalism.

Soundbites of Miss America's pageant statements are making the news (and internet) rounds. Her "I was the first Indian Miss New York, and I'm so proud to be the first Indian Miss America" is now being quoted from a nice diverse mix of media, ranging from ambivalence to disapproval (not much diversity there), from FOX News to CNN to NPR.

NPR titles its Miss America program: Is Nina Davuluri 'American Enough' To Be Miss America?
This story may wane, but its issues will continue. As I said in my previous post Miss Rigged America: We're in for interesting times.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted By: Kidist P. Asrat
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------