About.......Contact.......Society.....................

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Blog
I'm in Elite Company

Square One Mall in Mississauga has been pretty active lately, with a newly opened "luxury wing."

The new Mississauga Holt Renfrew at Square One had commissioned an illustrator to make portraits of customers on its opening day .

The line was surprisingly short and the illustrator was fortunately quick and skilled. Within twenty minutes, I had mine.

I looked up Monica Smiley of Eightyseventh St. and found that she has had a long career of illustrating cartoons of various famous people.

I am in esteemed company!



She said it is easier when people have a distinguishable feature. Mine happened to be my big orange hat!

Vogue's Anna Wintour's are her giant sunglasses which she wears even indoors. And of course her bob.



Hudson's Bay across the mall wasn't gong to be left out, and was promoting a new make-up line called Teeez that I blogged about here. Un-hip that was, I didn't realize that a Selfie actually meant me pointing an iPhone or some such contraption at myself. I asked the sales girl to take a photo of me instead (actually, I can take a Selfie with my "tablet" computer).

Here I am below in my "Selfie", getting "ready for a revolution" as the poster behind me asks. Little do they know!



I think I look better than Anna Wintour - at least I have a better smile. And my signature look (my big orange straw hat) is a far more interesting than hers, an over-sized pair of dark glasses.


Anna Wintour at the Spring/Summer 2016 Collection
during London Fashion Week


It's funny, these "power women" when it all boils down, are like frightened little girls underneath it all.

Meryl Streep played it perfectly in The Devil Wears Prada, as a fashion mogul who was supposed to be, well, fashioned after Anna Wintour. At the end of the day, this Miranda Priestly/Anna Wintour impersonation was intimidated, and beaten, by a simple college graduate intern. Now, when will this college graduate intern morph into the monster that Streep's character became, and when will she collapse at some point in her career, unable to rise to some "challenge?" And how many ruins will she have stacked behind her of failed marriage(s), family, and feminine happiness?

Here is a photo op (is it one for Hillary or one for Anna?) taken in 2013, where fashion meets (Democrat) politics. What is a then 64-year-old business mogul like Anna Wintour woman smiling like a 12-year-old? And why so deferential to Hillary Clinton (66), who herself is grinning like a mad woman? So much for modern "strong" women.


Anna and Hillary in 2013

What would they do if they came across Martha Washington, who was the same age as them in this portrait below?


Martha Washington, by James Peale, 1796
Mount Vernon Collections