About.......Contact.......Society.....................

Sunday, February 2, 2014

February Month Of The Violet


Eduard Manet (1832-1883)
Bouquet Of Violets
Oil on canvas
1872
8.66" x 10.63"
Private collection


Rather than find flowers and gems related to a horoscope sign, I thought it would be interesting to find them as they relate to a month.

February is the month for violets. According to Wikipedia, February's:
- Birth flower is the violet (Viola) and the common primrose (Primula vulgaris).
- Birthstone is the amethyst
- Symbols are piety, humility, spiritual wisdom, and sincerity.
- Zodiac signs are Aquarius (until February 18) and Pisces (February 19 onwards)
This month, which is in deep winter, already has four things that I like:
- The violet flower is part of a perfume that I find delicately pleasant: Elizabeth Taylor's Violet Eyes has the essence of the violet flower (below is my review I wrote in 2011)
- The deep purple amethyst is my second favorite stone
- I am Capricorn, but as I read Aquarius astrology notes signs, I find that I have a lot in common with that sign, including getting on well with the creative, imaginative and often visionary Aquarians. Perhaps it is to do with the moon, sun and planets?
- Humility, spiritual wisdom and sincerity? I think I do have a certain sincerity in what I do. That is probably why I decided to be a blogger.
- I did a post on Elizabeth Taylor only a month ago. It was mostly about her perfumes, where I wrote:
...[I]n Taylor's time, celebrities didn't run around in embarrassing outfits confessing all kinds of unmentionable things to callous magazine interviewers who have to take things (gossip and ugliness) up a notch in order to sell their stories. Despite their clearly difficult lives (Elizabeth Taylor was married eight times), there still was an aura of mystique and mystery around these celebrities. This provided them with the shelter to continue with their creative energies. And it gave Taylor room to create her perfumes.

She had been in the news mostly about her readmission into hospital because of her heart. Even for such a trip, she put on her best face and best clothes.

She still had energy to compose one final perfume, Violet Eyes, in 2010, perhaps her most personal...
Here is perfumer Carlos Benaim describing the perfume, and Elizabeth Taylor:
At first, you perceive the brightness of her gaze. Then she looks straight at you, and there you are, staring into the most famous eyes in the world. And they are indeed violet, absolutely unique and truly beautiful.

Both the bottle and the outer package were carefully designed to my specifications. The contrast of both shiny and matte surface and watercolour violets combine to make this an exquisite design.
And here are the notes for Violet Eyes:
Top: White Peach
Middle: Purple Rose, Jasmine
Base: Violet, Cedar Wood, Amber
I took the photograph below of a field of violets sometime in spring. I'm not sure what violets have to do with February, but I have noticed this small, unassuming flower, which gives a purple carpet on fields where it is allowed to grow.


Violet Garden (2011)
[Photo By: KPA]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted By: Kidist P. Asrat
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------