About.......Contact.......Society.....................

Sunday, September 21, 2014

The Scripture Prize



I'm going through some photographs and documents, and I found this. I won the Scripture Prize as a young girl. I don't know how I got that honor except that I remember going to confirmation classes in my primary school (I was thirteen), thinking I would be confirmed. But the protocol was more complicated than that since I was at the school as an Orthodox (Ethiopian Orthodox). I sang in the choir, attended church service every Sunday (with the choir), and probably some other days too. I performed in some of the great cathedrals (they were generous to small school choirs), celebrated Christmas and Easter and other holidays with choral aplomb, but I still wasn't an Anglican!

I think (I don't remember my exact thought process) that attending Divinity classes might earn me an honorary Anglican membership. And I participated eagerly, interested and engaged. And that might have got me the Scripture Prize! That same year I also got the Music Prize, and later on, the French Prize. I think I was the proudest of the Scripture Prize. It was unique and serious. Knowing something worth being rewarded for about religion, the Bible and other sacred things is not an easy feat!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted By: Kidist P. Asrat
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------