About.......Contact.......Society.....................

Friday, August 15, 2014

New York Stories by the Fountains


#whereandwheniliketoread
[Photo By: KPA]


In a recent post, I put up a photograph of C Cafe, in Celebration Square, Mississauga, where I go to have coffee, and sometimes breakfast.

The cafe is quiet in the early mornings (around 8am-10am), an ideal time for me to go and read. The spray of the fountains masks other noises, and it also adds a peaceful background for reading.

My photograph was not as I had wished it to be. The rain storm the night before had flooded the cafe, and the staff had piled the seats towards the back, leaving a messy cluster. I moved a couple of tables and some chairs to the front, but I couldn't rearrange the whole patio, leaving awkward spaces where tables or chairs should be.

I have always liked the pleasant rhythm of the chairs and the round tables, as they are normally arranged. I took photographs a second time yesterday morning, and I am pleased with one result, which I've posted above.

The New York Public Library is asking its members to contribute photographs of where they like to read to its twitter page #ireadeverywhere. This is actually incorrect. I think people have specific places where they like to read, and they are often particular about the time of day too. I would have called the hashtag #whereandwheniliketoread.

Mine, for now, is the quiet C Cafe, early in the morning, with a cup of coffee. I don't like to eat while reading, because eating requires some concentration to enjoy the food, to use the utensils, to keep food from getting on the book, and so on. And I associate coffee with reading, some kind of Pavlovian reflex. And the coffee should be Starbucks.

I think I will submit the photo above.

I have placed my paper cup with the coffee (they don't have ceramic mugs), my book New York Stories, and the rope sling of my bag in the frame, to have my presence in the photograph.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted By: Kidist P. Asrat
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------