About.......Contact.......Society.....................

Saturday, February 7, 2015

Jack


Jack, on watch (poor mailman)
[Photo from Google Maps]


I was greeted by two rambunctious dogs, a large pale-furred golden retriever and a black labrador retriever, at the front door of my physiotherapist's office which I was attending for the first time.

I wasn't intimidated, and peered through the glass door and said "Are you going to let me in?"

They retreated, and I opened the door.

The black labrador went downstairs, but the golden retriever edged close to me as I sat on the bench after I signed in at the reception.

" What's his name?"

"Jack."

"Perfect. Hey, Jack!"

Then Jack wouldn't leave me alone, having been formally introduced to me. He would put his big head on my knee, stroke me with his giant paws, lean his lumbering body against my leg. And just stay by me.

I stroked his head, pulled his ears, and talked to him in some form of human-dog speech.

Then suddenly, he left my side and started pawing at the door, with a couple of deep, gruff barks.

"Should I let him out?"

"Yes, he just wants to be out when the school kids walk by"

He has an internal clock!

Jack goes out, and sits on the sidewalk. And sure enough, small clusters of chattering school kids, about eight and nine-year-olds, start walking by. They don't pay any attention to the large canine sitting on the cold pavement, watching them pass by. They must be used to him. But how can they not want to stroke his big, sympathethic head? Poor, faithful Jack!

Jack would keep glancing back, even as he sits patiently on the sidewalk. He clearly misses his warm perch on top of what looks like part of a rowing fitness machine. He should be back inside! He has a room to survey!


Prince
Watercolor by Kimberly Kaminski


"It's cold out there, in fact, it's freezing!" say I, having braved through ice, snow, and blisteringly cold temperatures to make it to my early morning appointment.

"Yes," says the woman, who seems to be the owner of both the practice and the dog.

Jack paws at the door. I let him in, but his leash gets stuck outside, pulling him a little back.

"Should I take it off his neck?"

"Yes, thanks."

Jack sits patiently, and even raises his head a little, to let me get at the hook.

"There you go."

He then resumes his place against my knee.

With a friend like that, who needs anyone else?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Below is a Jack look-alike on the left, which this dog site describes as "a slightly undershot jaw characteristic of light-furred retrievers."

This was Jack's expression. He wasn't just playing, he was very serious about his friendliness!


----------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted By: Kidist P. Asrat