About.......Contact.......Society.....................

Monday, March 11, 2013

Nectar For the Gods


Logo for Harp Lager

Harp Lager is available at my local Irish Pub, Failte's, whose interior I've photographed and the photos I've posted here. The menu describes it as an "imported beer" which I assume means from Ireland. The wait staff knows me now, and I sit in the back with my laptop or other mobile device (not my scooter, as Jerry Seinfeld quipped in one of his jokes), write my Reclaiming Beauty drafts, and add to my Mere Culture book (chapter titles here) that is still in the works.

I usually go during the Shona Hour, which translated means Happy Hour, and get my 1/2 pint of Harp Lager.

This site describes the beer as:
Dry and malty with a crisp hop finish
I agree. The taste is surprisingly strong, but the "crisp hop" gives it an unexpected sweetness and lightness.

The brewery is in Ireland, although it is called Guinness USA "and was born in 1960 as an answer to the rising thirst for lagers in Ireland and the UK."

Here is more detailed information on the beer, under "tasting notes":
Appearance: Golden and brilliantly clear.
Aroma: A subtle grainy sweetness with hints of lemon citrus.
Flavor: A dry, malty front slowly gives way to a crisp and dry
hoppy finish with notes of green apple and pear. Crisp and dry,
finishes remarkably smooth.
Food Pairing: Harp Lager's pale malt flavor compliments fruits,
while its dry, crisp hops accentuate spicy flavor. Serve with fried foods;
creamy soups and sauces; light fish and shellfish; mild cheeses;
Italian, Mexican, Indian, Cajun, Southwestern, and Asian dishes.
Nectar for all palettes. To accompany the Harp, I recommend the sweet potato fries, a 1/2 price appetizer during Shona Hour.


Harp Lager engraved in glass
Failte Irish Pub, Toronto
[Photo by Kidist P. Asrat Photographs]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted By: Kidist P. Asrat