About.......Contact.......Society.....................

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Well-Perfumed


Bon Chic Bottle. The Max Azria signiature logo is the two Bs in mirror image.
The bottle's lid is designed with the logo in mind, but looking like the open petals of a flower
.

Bon Chic Bon Genre, or BCBG (Bé Cé Bé Gé) is a French term for "preppy." But it doesn't have the sophomoric, college student, connotations behind its name. It really just means well styled, and well mannered.

The fashion designer Max Azria, of BCBG Max Azria, has been releasing a series of BCBG perfumes, created by perfumer Stephen Nilsen. The first of the BCBGs was called BCBG (initials only), and came in a pretty pink bottle with a rose-like lid. He then broke down the BCBG, and released a yellow-bottled Bon Chic in 2012, and a purple Bon Genre in 2013.

I've tried all three (through the generous "sample" bottles provided at Sephora), and I find Bon Chic the most successful (although all three are good).

Here are the notes for Bon Chic:
Top: Mango, Pear, Rasberry
Middle: Violet, Pink Peony, Orange Blossom
Base: Vanilla, Musk
A tiny Eau de Parfum bottle (0.25 fl. oz) is $20. The Sephora shop assistant told me that this was as long as quantities last. These small bottles were initially designed as promotional bottles at department stores during the holidays.

There is nothing overwhelming about this perfume. I think putting in the delicate raspberry scent, rather than the stronger strawberry, was a clever move by the designer to maintain the lightness of the scent.

I don't smell any strong "woodsy" scent either, although I think it is masked by the vanilla and the musk, which I think give a warm and unobtrusive dry down. The top "fruity" scents are take over by the floral middle notes. This gives the perfume an initial burst of cheery fruits, which then give way to the sweet and floral middle notes supported by the delicate base notes.

All the perfume sites I found gave copied and pasted versions of some original (and I'm not sure where its origins are). But here is one cheerful reviewer who writes:
This is feminine and summery -in a really good way! I was pleasantly surprised by the complex sweetness of this. My first thoughts on this were apple and mimosa with a touch of powder. Then there's a smokey quality to this perfume that balances the sweetness ( I'm not the best at detecting notes.. albeit this is my humble description :). It is sweet but not unsophisticated.

The dry down is very pleasant, soft, and sensual. Unfortunately, it doesn't stick around for a very long time :(. Maybe several hours, which isn't terrible, but at the end of the day it's barely there. But, all in all I was very pleased with this scent and I think it's the best of the BCBG Fragrances. Would repurchase!
I don't agree with her about the short scent span of the perfume.I sprayed mine on a scarf to test its longevity, and I still detect a light, sweet, floral scent even after about a week.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted By: Kidist P. Asrat
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------