About.......Contact.......Society.....................

Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Mozart: Genius in Three Notes



How Mozart Summed Up the Universe in Three Notes

The link above is to a discussion on Mozart's genius by classical musician, composer, conductor, and music commentator Robert Kapilow.

Here are my modest takes on Mozart:

I will start with a quote from my 2013 post on his birthday:
I can never have enough praise for Mozart. You could say that I am a Mozartphile. I am forever surprised, astounded, delighted and intrigued by his music. Recently, I have been listening to Dvorak and Sibelius, and they surprise and astound, but they never really delight like Mozart.

The incredible thing about Mozart is how accessible he is, without losing any of his musical complexity. I think he does this by keeping his essential melody (often enchantingly beautiful) always within the listener's reach (more at the post).
Several short posts I've made over the years of blogging:

Preserving this West

Two Hundred and Fifty Years: January 27th, Mozart's Birthday (2006)

Mozart's Birthday (2013)

Vladimir Horowitz Plays Mozart; Who Does Bach Justice?

Kenneth Clark's Civilization: Mozart's Symmetry

An Idiot Playing at Genius