About.......Contact.......Society.....................

Friday, April 5, 2013

I must be gone: there is a grave Where daffodil and lily wave



Laura Wood has an eloquent post on the funeral service of Lawrence Auster.

In Lawrence Auster, Requiescat in Pace she writes:
Mr. Auster’s body was taken in a procession to Saints Peter and Paul Cemetery in Springfield, Pennsylvania, about 15 miles from the church, where it was lowered into a grave in an open lawn next to an oak tree. In the spring sun, the scene evoked “The Song of the Happy Shepherd” by W.B. Yeats, one of the many poems by the Irish poet that Mr. Auster cherished and knew by heart:
I must be gone: there is a grave
Where daffodil and lily wave,
And I would please the hapless faun,
Buried under the sleepy ground,
With mirthful songs before the dawn.
A couple of days ago, when I wrote my "in memoriam" for Larry, I debated posting a photograph of daffodils which I had taken several springs ago.

And in my image for the post, I have juxtaposed a photograph of a tree with one of Larry leaning back as though resting on the trunk of the tree, with the paradisaical gardens of the Cloisters within his arm's reach.



How apt that the field around the church has daffodils, and that there is an oak tree for rest and repose.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted By: Kidist P. Asrat