About.......Contact.......Society.....................

Saturday, November 22, 2014

The Acrtic in Mississauga


C-Cafe, in Mississauga, has displayed fifteen of George Hunter's photographs
(visible in the back of the room, by the window).


There was a retrospective on the life and work of Mississauga (native) photographer George Hunter on November 7 at C-Cafe, which for some reason I missed. That's too bad! I suppose I should be more in tune with online announcements (the information was here), rather than other ways of publicity. Although, to the credit of the cafe folk, they do leave behind upcoming programs at their front tables, but I must have missed this one.

The announcement for the exhibition has this biography:
Mississauga’s George Hunter’s remarkable images span seven decades and
create memorable impressions of people and places from across Canada and
more than 100 countries world-wide. Appointed to the Royal Canadian Academy
of the Arts in 1977 and widely published, his work includes photo spreads in
TIME Magazine and a major exhibit by the National Film Board of Canada. His
prints are found in permanent collections across Canada and locally in the Art
Gallery of Mississauga. Stories from a lifetime of photography and images from
Hunter’s iconic career will be shared with the cafe audience by two contemporary
artists, Tom Bochsler and Ken Clayton.
Fifteen of Hunter's photographs are now on display at C-Cafe. I took a photograph of a few images on display, but the one below was what caught my attention because of the drama of the train ploughing through the snow. I took a photograph of the photograph! Somehow I knew copies would be hard to find.


George Hunter (1921–10 April 2013)
Manitoba: Early Morning Salutations, Baker Lake
1946
51cm x 62cm


[This is a photograph I took of the display. It's not very good. I was too far away when I took it, and there was too much light reflecting on the glass. I will try another time.]

I showed the staff at the C-Cafe the photograph below, and joked a little.


Arctic in Mississauga
[Photo By: KPA]


"I can say that I got took this photo while on assignment in the Arctic!"

"Where did you take it?"

"Right out there, where the fountains usually are."

The very shallow pool has been converted into a skating rink, and this was before anyone had skated on it, and the zamboni didn't need to smooth it out. The scratches are probably from the Christmas tree and other things being dragged across the ice.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted By: Kidist P. Asrat
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------