About.......Contact.......Society.....................

Sunday, November 2, 2014

The Franciscan University

I spent three days in this beautiful campus last weekend, during the Power of Beauty Conference, where I was also a presenter.

The week-end went well, my presentation was well-received, and I returned with memories of good discussions, beautiful environment, delicious food, and new visions.

This encourages me, more than ever, to continue with my book project Reclaiming Beauty: Winning Back Our Civilization, especially after I (bought) and read Dietrich von Hildebrand's book My Battle Against Hitler, which tells of his bravery and courage, which he of course diminishes in his humble way, against the evil that beset Germany ("my beloved Germany" he writes) in the early parts of the 20th century.

Our task, now, appears less difficult, but the surreptitious usurpation of our civilization goes on, and astute voices need to make the calls.

Below are photographs I took of the beautiful campus.


[Photo By: KPA]

The view of of St. Kolbe residence hall on the right, after St. Maximilian Kolbe, killed by the Nazis, and the St. Thomas Moore (after the saint) building on the left.

I took this shot while going from one conference presentation to another. The university is secluded from the town and other centers. To get there, one needs a car or some kind of transportation. An entrepreneurial student arranged for a shuttle bus to transport students to and from the campus, primarily to the Pittsburgh International Airport. That is where I met the shuttle, traveling a short (local bus) distance there from the Greyhound station.

Once on campus, the spiritual freshness of the place is beautifully palpable.




[Photo By: KPA]

A small wood near the campus' Rosary Circle.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted By: Kidist P. Asrat
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------