About.......Contact.......Society.....................

Saturday, January 3, 2015

"The plane above the city was almost an omen"


TWA Poster
David Klein
Museum of Modern Art, New York
1956
Medium:Photolithograph
Dimensions:40 x 25"
Gift of TWA


Tiberge from Galliawatch wrote me this in an email after I sent her some of my posts at Reclaiming Beauty:
"[The poster is ] full of American energy and optimism. But the plane above the city was almost an omen."
She was commenting on this post, where I was writing about the poster for the TWA airlines from 1956, which I've also posted above.

Yes, with the horrible history that we have inherited, now planes in the sky, in a darkish background, become ominous (there is also that glittering star-like spark on the skyscraper, as though a premonition and target for those towers. But a single, twinkling star like that used to tell us that Baby Jesus was nearby).

Omens are important to pay attention to. But we cannot live under the cloud of omens, nor let ominous events take over our lives. We have to live, after all.

It is interesting that I was drawn to this illustration, although I was talking about a nostalgic time, labeling my article "When America Was Great." I noticed the bright, exuberant, kaleidoscopic colors, and a kind of New Year's revelry that goes on in Times Square. Tiberge, wiser, paid attention to the plane.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted By: Kidist P. Asrat
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------