About.......Contact.......Society.....................

Friday, July 12, 2013

Linden Flower Patterns

One of the reasons I take photographs of plants, and mainly of flowers, is to find ways I can incorporate them into my textile and other pattern designs. Not all flowers are amenable (or easily amenable) to patterns, but I think the linden plant can work well as a pattern. I recently took photos of the flower and leaf, which I posted in The Linden Tree Flower and its Fragrance.

Here is a diagram of the linden flower, with a cropped photo of a similar area of the flower:



Surprisingly, there are not many (readily, web-available) designs for this flower. People seem to prefer to stencil the leaves and the tree.



And the flowers are often graphic and simplified.



The honeysuckle flower, which I think resembles the linden flower (in fact, I first thought the linden flowers were honeysuckle) is a more difficult flower to design. It is less structured than the linden tree flower. But it is a popular design, because it is a more prominent, and visible flower.


Honeysuckle textile and wallpaper design, 1883
By William Morris (1834-96)



Trumpet Honeysuckle (which is probably what Morris used for his design)

While preparing the linden flower design, I would make it less graphic (but not too detailed either). I would make the colors more dynamic, with brighter green leaves and a deeper, more mustard yellow for the flower. I would also add different parts of the plant, from the stalk of the leaves to the berries (less of the branches), to add more dimension and interest to the design. But I would make the flower prominent.


Details of the linden plant
[Photo By: KPA]


The pattern I would prepare will be more structured. The few linden floral patterns I found were haphazard. At this point in my design creation process, my pattern would resemble my Trillium and Queen Anne's Lace design:



I still haven't found a prominent designer who used the linden flower in his designs. Perhaps I can rectify that dearth (through my modest contribution) to make a design worthy of this pretty flower with the lovely scent.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted By: Kidist P. Asrat
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------