About.......Contact.......Society.....................

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Royal Baby: George Alexander Louis


The only thing I fault Kate and William with is that they could have waited until they
got to the palace before showing the baby, and that they dress less casual. But, they
probably wanted to show that Kate was doing fine as she left the hospital.


I've cricicized Kate Middleton in previous blogs. I only commented on what I saw: Kate in Islamic headscarf while visiting a Muslim country. In retrospect, to be fair, she probably had to wear the scarf to avoid inflamatory response, in this world of Muslim terror. And Queen Elizabeth had done the same, although as a monarch, she can decide that what she wears anywhere is appropriate to her own culture and traditions. Instead she chose to catapult to Muslims' aggressive demands.

As I wrote in this post:
Queen Elizabeth also went barefoot, and diligently covered her head when she went to the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi in 2010, and at the Green Mosque in Turkey in 2008.


Kate Middleton has had her share of minor scandals, from vacationing topless in some Caribbean Island (hasn't she learned from her predecessors that cameramen are everywhere) to hot-pants photos surfacing from her college years. She also "co-habited" with Prince William while they were students in Edinburgh, and after. Still, I don't fault them, in this confusing world of moral ambiguities.

But, I've always maintained that William is serious, and takes his role seriously. He has decided to live up to higher standards than what his father passed on to him. I think, in a sad way, it is his memory of his mother that gives him that strength. Despite her many errors, Diana loved and respected the monarchy, and gave that sense of correctness to her son.

I wrote here about Kate and William:
But, still, I like [Kate's] style and she's somewhat demure in this age of all-exposure. I think she's trying to bring some decorum back into the scandal-filled British monarchy, and with her husband, the quiet and serious Prince William, I think she may just do so.
As she quietly adjusted to royal life, her demeanour, and her wardrobe, started changing. She was in Canada for St. Patrick's Day, in 2012, where I wrote:
I've always liked Kate. She seems quiet, smart and has adjusted remarkably well to royal life, unlike her sad mother-in-law Diana and her aunt Sarah. Perhaps she learned from their sad mistakes. I've got a few blog posts I've meaning to do on her, and her modest but elegant style, which I'll get to.
I don't know about the future of the monarchy. The British people clearly still see it positively, from their joyful reaction to the new royal member, Kate's and William's son. As I was watching the various news coverage, I could see how serious William is, and how supportively subordinate Kate is (she is no Diana). If there is anyone who will salvage the tainted image of British royalty, it is Kate and William.

Monarchies may come and go, but people will always need leaders, or a hierarchy of leaders, who decisively guide their people and nation. These leaders are symbolic as well as actual. They may perform their functions, but they also have deep symbolic importance. If the right leader is not in view, then the wrong one will usurp the position. Look at what happened in Germany with Hitler, who was submissively followed by leader-hungry Germans.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted By: Kidist P. Asrat
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------