About.......Contact.......Society.....................

Sunday, July 13, 2014

Starting Out in the Evening


View from Toast, on 105th
This scene reminds me of one of my favorite New York movies,
Starting Out in the Evening
[Photo By: KPA]



Building across the street from Toast
Showing the dusk glow on its facade
(The building is visible in the above photo)
[Photo By: KPA]



The "X" marks the spot where I was sitting (for the couple of evenings I went during the rain.)
The third time, it was a lovely mild evening, and I sat in the patio.
[Photo from Toast's website]


Although I started out very early in the mornings during my stay in New York, the end of the day was equally special.

I took the above photo at late dusk (around 8:30 pm) at Toast on 105th street on Broadway. It had just rained, a thundershower to be exact. The street was empty except for the occasional yellow cab, and it was fast getting dark. My camera just about can take photos in the dark. But opening up the aperture to let in more light also affects motion, so some of the photograph looks blurred, especially the rustling leaves. But I also got those neat effects of streaming light.

I think the photo picks up the mood perfectly of the quiet evening. I was sitting by an open french window inside the restaurant since the patio seats were still wet. But I got the best of both interior and exterior, with a breeze coming through, and an unobstructed view of the street in front.

I had a delicious smoked salmon appetizer (House Smoked Salmon with capers & herb mayo, from Toast's menu. I usually don't like capers, but I didn't leave anything behind, finishing off the capers first so as not to detract from the mild and sweet smoked salmon), with a French rose. The wait staff knows me, and kindly accommodates my sometimes demanding requests.

Here is how Toast's menu describes the wine:
Bieler Pere et Fils 2011, France
It’s that time again! Ripe fruit with strawberry & a tingly dry finish. This classic Provence style always shines. Now in its 9th strong vintage - and by far our top-selling rosé every season! Ahh...Rosé.

After the Rain
[Photo By: KPA]


The lights floating on the trees are reflections of the restaurant's lights on the window, behind which I took the photograph on the wet evening when the french window was still closed (they opened it up a little later, at my request).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted BY: Kidist P. Asrat
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------