About.......Contact.......Society.....................

Friday, August 2, 2013

Channeling Frank Sinatra



For some reason, my email is not notifying me of comments on my recent posts. Apologies to "anonymous" for not replying sooner, since the question is worthy of a response.

Anonymous wrote on my post relating my email interaction with Jamie Glazov of Frontpage Magazine, and Jamie Glazov Productions:
This post is a little confusing, it reads as if you initiated contact, you pleaded to be allowed on some show, and when your target finally read your work he decided to turn you down. That does not seem very much like being invited onto a show. I'm not sure how you interpreted this as 'invitation and interest'. It seems more like an outright refusal.

Also, when you talk about writing enough content for a book, do you mean a book that somebody is actually interested in publishing or are you talking purely in terms of word count? When you talk about the book that you are preparing (based on your blogs) are you talking about a real book deal or do you mean vanity publishing?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. I did not plead to "be allowed" on Glazov's show. I presented my case. That is how many media interactions are made. I am not famous that Galzov should know me, and readily find information on me. I merely have a blog, which is not widely read, although is slowly gaining momentum (case in point: you).

2. My "target," as you rudely refer to Glazov, initially agreed to have me on his show. He said he was out in California, and if I could make it out there, he would find a slot for me.

I thought his company was in the New York area, and that is why I asked for the interview. I would have never have initiated the interaction if I had known he worked out of southern California.

So, yes, he was interested, and he did invite me to be on his show.

3. He recanted his invitation without explanation. I think it was because he started reading my website Reclaiming Beauty, and particularly after I sent him a critique I wrote of his interview of three women, and in particular of Ying Ma, who wrote Chinese Girl in the Ghetto.

He got that critique because I sent it to him. I thought he could incorporate it into his interview questions. Instead, he chose to withdraw his invitation.

4. If you've read my website, and its "sister" sites Camera Lucida and Our Changing Landscape (now amalgamated into Reclaiming Beauty), you wouldn't have to ask questions about the stage (and state) of my book project, nor about the content of my writings.

5. One of the reasons I was asking to be on Glazov's show was to garner publicity for my book project, and to attract publishers. I'm a first time author. I have no connections to publishers at all. If people know about me, and about my book, through more public media like Glazov's, my reasoning was that they would at least have a look at what I'm writing.

I don't know the term "vanity publishers," but it sounds like something you should try.

6. I used to write for Frontpage Magazine. Glazov is its editor. At one point, he wanted me to change the content of my articles so much, that I simply stopped sending articles.

I should have known that he would vacillate with my current projects. I haven't changed, and he clearly hasn't changed either.

7. I asked Glazov if he has some kind of per diem for his guests. He politely said he didn't (that was before he sent me his diplomatic refusal). I thought to raise funds through family and friends, and through my website, but Glazov's cancellation came earlier.

It was a relief not having to search for a way to get to California for an interview I wasn't sure was going to do me much good anyway.

8. Your email was sent in bad faith. I am only answering you so that readers will not be influenced by what you said.

9. By the way, I sent my blog post (this one which you commented on) to Glazov.

10. So there you have it.



-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted By: Kidist P. Asrat
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------