About.......Contact.......Society.....................

Sunday, August 25, 2013

New York in a Week Part I: The New York Public Library


Patience, sitting strong and....

My recent trip to New York, was successful and as always, enjoyable.

There were many reasons I went. One was to attend Jim Kalb's monthly meetings, of which I am honored to be a part. Secondly, it was to photograph various New York landmarks for the chapter headings of my book Reclaiming Beauty. Third, I went to see if I can use the immense research facilities at the New York Public Library for my book. And finally, but no less important, it was to pay my respects to Larry Auster, with a visit to his grave near Philadelphia, which I've posted on here.

Each of these was successful. It left me little time to visit museums, exhibitions and even shopping. I went to the Cloisters on a double mission: to photograph the scenery and buildings, and to attend the 75-year anniversary of the Unicorn Tapestires aqcuisitions. But the Metropolitan has to wait for another visit. I made it to Macy's and Bloomingdales, but I didn't take my camera with me, leaving me without photos of the famous storefronts.

I had also hoped to trace George Washington's visit to New York during his (as I had written here), but time was lacking. I will do that at another visit, and I will surely find some worthy images to put in my book.

During my visit to the NYPL, I took a one hour tour for quick and condensed information. The docent informed us about a "writers and scholars grant" which I am eligible to apply for. The extensive Spencer Collection: Prints and Photographs Study Room, the Miriam and Ira D. Wallach Division of Art, Prints and Photographs: Art & Architecture Collection, and the Manuscripts and Archives Division will provide me with a wealth of information.

The docent, a gentle lady named Patrica Darcy (do have her as your guide) was able to give us an a great survey of the library, as well as provide as with the pertinent information (such as the grant for writers and scholars).

On my way out of the library, I went to the gift shop, and bought a $1.00 (maybe it was 80 cents) postcard of one of the lions outside the library. "Is this Patience or Fortitude?" I asked the serious gift shop lady. "How do you know which is which?" she asks. Of course, I had just heard it form my tour, but didn't give that away.

Apparently, the lion on the postcard is Patience, as is the lion in the photograph I took of the library's exterior.


NYPL Staircase


View of the Empire State Building, through a window in the NYPL


View of 42nd Street through a window in the NYPL

[All Photos by KPA]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted By: Kidist P. Asrat
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------